Engineering Excellence: ROSS Cylindrical Blender/Dryers
Thursday, February 14, 2019
- Designed for extremely efficient and reliable drying. The combination of thorough blending, deep vacuum and a baffled jacket that surrounds the entire cylinder and end plates enables rapid heat transfer.
- Ross Cylindrical Blender/Dryers accommodate a wide range of feed forms: from free-flowing powders and pellets to wet granules and paste-like materials.
- Rated for vacuum operation up to 29.5"Hg (10 torr absolute pressure).
- Ideal for high temperature requirements up to 500Â°F. The gearbox and all bearings are located outside of the drying chamber and not subjected to the same temperature as the materials being processed. This allows for easy lubrication, simple maintenance and long service life.
- Range of standard working capacities: 0.33 through 343 cubic feet
- Rated for vacuum up to 29.5"Hg. Option: internal pressure rating up to 150 psi.
- Baffled jacket rated for 50 psi or higher (hot water, oil or steam service). Jacket may be ASME-stamped, if required. Insulation and sheathing also offered.
- Choice of stainless steel 316, stainless steel 304, carbon steel or Hastelloy Alloy C-276 wetted parts.
- Standard models are suited for product densities up to 30 lbs/cu.ft. Heavyduty models are available for denser applications.
- Type, size and location of manways, product inlet connections, sampling ports, vent ports and discharge valves are all customized for each dryer.
- Variable-speed ribbon, paddle or ribbon/paddle agitator.
- The standard double ribbon agitator is made up of inner and outer helical ribbons precisely pitched to provide vigorous lateral and axial movement of the bulk material.
- A paddle-style agitator, on the other hand, is ideal for gentler blending of friable and shear-sensitive applications.
- Ribbon/paddle agitators offer intermediate blending intensity for products that are not so friable but tend to bind between the agitator and the cylinder.
- Ross Cylindrical Blender/Dryers are engineered via Finite Element Analysis (FEA) to very accurate tolerances to accommodate shaft expansion during processing at high temperatures.
- Choice of TEFC, explosion-proof or washdown-duty motor.
Ross SysCon Control Panels are built and wired to NFPA-79 and UL-508A standards. Choice of any NEMA enclosure type to meet any application or environment. Integrated PLC Recipe Controls for the dryer, heater, vacuum pump and other ancillary equipment can be supplied.
NEMA 4X Control Panel with user-friendly color touchscreen interface. This washdown-duty panel includes an Emergency Stop button, fan shrouds for cooling, main power disconnect with lockout/tag out, fuse protection for all motors and a single point power hook-up.
As an option, Ross PLC Recipe Controls can be accessed from multiple internetcapable mobile devices. For added convenience, they may be programmed to automatically send text or e-mail regarding operating status and alarm notifications.
NEMA 12 Control Panel with Customized SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) Package designed for automatic data logging. Such a system provides enhanced monitoring and recordkeeping for complete batch-tobatch traceability.
The above NEMA 7&9 Explosion-proof Operator Station (left) combines the efficiency of a color monitor to display multiple variables and the convenience of pushbuttons for operators wearing gloves. Variable Frequency Drives are mounted inside a NEMA 12 Power Enclosure (right) for installation in a non-hazardous area.