How it Works
Benefits of Choosing a ROSS V Cone Blender
What does a ROSS V Cone Blender do?
The ROSS V Cone Blender is a common workhorse used throughout the process industries for mixing powders and other free-flowing solids. This blender can heat, cool, or dry materials under vacuum. It can also coat solid particles with small amounts of liquid.
How does a ROSS V Cone Blender work?
A ROSS V Cone Blender features a rotating V-shaped vessel. Diffusion is the main mechanism for mixing: batch materials cascade down, distributing particles over a freshly exposed surface as the vessel rotates on a horizontal axis. Tumble blending is very low-impact and appropriate for processing abrasive solids and friable ingredients. It is also commonly used in making precise blends containing trace components or ingredients that are dissimilar in size and density. The geometry of the V cone vessel allows complete discharge of the blended material.
Features at a Glance
Why Choose a ROSS V Cone Blender?
Design – Standard models are suitable for bulk densities up to 150 lbs/cu.ft., with heavy-duty options available for handling extremely dense powders up to 900 lbs/cu.ft. or more. A high speed intensifier bar can be installed along the blender’s axis of rotation for breaking up large agglomerates. Minor liquid ingredients may be introduced via spray nozzles installed on the intensifier bar for continuous and even application throughout the solid particle surfaces as the blender rotates. Other customizations include heating/cooling jacket, vacuum capability, sanitary finishes, all-stainless steel construction, high-performance elastomers, explosion-proof motor and controls.
Safety – ROSS V Cone Blenders come standard with safety railings and limit switches preventing operation of the blender when the gate is open. Optional safety light curtains, automated valves and purged control panels can be supplied.
Ease of use – These blenders utilize an inverter-duty motor equipped with electromagnetic brake and a variable frequency drive providing speed control, jog feature, overload protection and emergency stop. Proximity controls can be supplied to stop the blender in one or more preferred positions under normal conditions. Optional PLC recipe system is available for enhanced batch-to-batch consistency, data logging and remote access from a smart device.
Scalability – Available in laboratory and production models from 0.25 to 100 cu.ft., V Cone Blenders are easily scalable and accommodate a wide range of capacity requirements.
- Atmospheric construction.
- Stainless steel type 304 product contact parts.
- 80-grit finish on stainless steel surfaces.
- Manually operated dust-tight butterfly valve.
- Safety railings with limit switch/safety switch interlock.
- Painted vessel support designed with wide base for distribution of the turning mass load and moment.
- Guardrails positioned at the front and rear of the support structure.
- TEFC brake motor.
- NEMA 12 touch screen controls.
- Designed for 150 lbs./cu.ft.
- Vacuum design.
- Stainless steel type 316 product contact parts.
- 150-grit or mirror finish on stainless steel surfaces.
- Vessel jacket for heating and cooling.
- Intensifier bar.
- Spray nozzles incorporated into intensifier bar.
- All stainless steel support structure.
- Explosion-proof motor, limit switches and controls.
- Higher horsepower and heavy-duty design for handling higher bulk densities.
Tumble blenders deliver highly accurate and repeatable mixing of solid-solid and solid-liquid applications. This bulletin presents some helpful techniques and design considerations for maximizing blending efficiency.
This bulletin discusses some factors to consider when selecting and specifying tumble blenders.
Tumble blenders deliver highly accurate and repeatable mixing of powders, granules and even low-viscosity slurries. In addition, this style blender enables complete discharge and easy cleaning. This bulletin presents some design considerations for maximizing mixing efficiency in a tumble blender and selecting the most suitable features for a particular application.